Saturday, May 12, 2007

Maternal influences can sneak up on you...

I lost my mother five years ago, and even now when I find something fabulous, I have the briefest flash of, "Wow, Mom would love that!" before I remember. I inherited my intense love of accessories from Mom, and believe me, if she were still around, she would probably have asked to borrow quite a few items that I've acquired since she's been gone.

When it comes to accessories, I'm like a bizarre, negative mirror-image of my mother.

I'm all about bags, she was manic about shoes. She loved pumps, and very nearly always wore heels. I'm crazy for flats!

I have more pairs of earrings than I can even begin to estimate, and she had one pair of nice gold hoops that she wore daily. Mom slept in her hoops, while I strip off all jewelry the minute I come in the door, wedding ring included. She had an intense love of perfume, and I can barely stand scented anti-perspirant.

Like Carolina Herrera, Mom never met a white blouse or shirt that she didn't like. I haven't cleaned out her closet yet but when I do, I'm going to count just how many white shirts she had in her collection. I found this fixation amusing until I realized, sometime during my junior year of college, that I owned about six white turtlenecks. I'd apparently absorbed the Wisdom of White by osmosis! I currently own at least ten to fifteen white knit tops in various sleeve and neckline configurations. Even now, typing about them, I'm itching to buy something new. Hmmm...

Happy Mother's Day to everyone, including those mothers like me, whose children have four feet and fur. :-)

Today's bag: You have to ask? My lovely new blue Pierotucci Birkin-inspired bag.

No comments: