Monday, July 24, 2006

New bag lurve!

It feels as though I haven't posted in months, but it's only been a week. Odd!

I'm here today with two tales, one of shame and one of triumph. Let's go ahead and get the shame out of the way.

1) The Beast(s)

A few weeks ago I purchased three Steve Madden bags online, and blogged about them here. I purchased these bags on the naive/hopeful assumption that they'd look at least as good as the pictures. HAH! I'm here to say that that's a load of hooey.

I was disappointed as soon as I opened the box - I should have followed my first impulse and purchased all three in black, as that's definitely the best of the three colors. I'm pleased though, because the one bag I hoped/thought I'd use the most, the shoulderbag, is black and indeed, is the one that looks the best. I've carried it a couple of times and I didn't feel too ashamed to have it on my arm.

The so-called tote bag is a bit smaller than the shoulder bag and the boxy rectangle bag is smaller still! It's a long bag but small inside. No, I can't figure it out either. The brown tote isn't too bad, and I think I carried it two days. The boxy bag is pretty awful, but I felt obligated to carry it at least once. The color is weird and the leather is truly strange, kind of waxy and...waxy.

The day I carried the boxy bag, I almost made it through the day with my dignity intact. As luck would have it, I stopped by the restroom on my way out of the door for the night. As I approached the restroom door, a tall, slim, fashionable diva stepped out. She gave me a quick once over, definitely gave my bag a long look, and swept on by. Oh, the shame of it.

There's a reason I don't buy trendy bags - they're not me. My style is definitely classic, and that's fine by me! The experiment wasn't a total loss, because I do have a fun black bag now and a brown tote-y thing, maybe for days when it's raining so hard that I don't want to carry one of my good bags. Ah, well. I'm giving the boxy bag to the first one of my young neighbors who'll have it, and good riddance.

2) The beauty

I ordered the Tod's Miky Nomade Grande from Neiman's a week ago, and it arrived this past Friday. It was on sale, half price to be exact (woohoo!), and I love green.


I didn't have a Tod's but I'd been eyeing their bags forever. The only thing I wasn't sure of was the size. I knew it was big, but would it be too big? I kept going back and forth about it, but I couldn't get it out of my head. I saw this picture, and thought, yeah, big but workable, I think.


I kept checking and finally figured that if they sold out I'd regret it forever. So I bought it and crossed my fingers.

This thing is HUGE. HUGE. Almost weekender size. But it's beautifully made, of beautiful leather. I love the way it looks, simple and clean but with enough details to make it interesting, and the silver hardware adds a bit of flash. The strap is adjustable to three lengths. I'm currently wearing it at the shortest length, doubled, and the bag hits me at the hip (I'm 5'1").

I wore it shopping yesterday, and I felt like a rock star with this huge, beautiful bag on my shoulder. It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure! I absolutely love it. Even better, I checked the Neiman's Final Call to see if it had been further reduced, and it's gone back up! It's still less than the original 1300.00 price, but it's 260.00 higher than when I bought mine. And to that I say woohoo.

Today's bag: Tod's Miky Nomade Grande (no pics yet, the battery's low).

No comments: